At the same time, cost pressure in the healthcare sector is rising. As a result, drug therapies are being shifted to the home setting more and more. This means patient-friendly solutions play a particularly important role in drug delivery systems in the home-care sector. One of the major challenges in the process is this: While modern drug delivery systems have to be tailored to ever larger drug volumes due to their long-term use, the trend toward miniaturization continues to be a factor.
Whether developing new products for pharmaceutical companies or for medium-sized drug makers: When it comes to producing systems for the reliable dosage of drugs, we have the experience. Through our involvement in many projects with well-known industry players, we’ve not only produced innovative packaging solutions, but also developed pharmaceutical components, application aids and delivery systems: for oral, subcutaneous and intravenous drugs no matter whether in liquid, powder or granulated form.
Our customers appreciate the wide range of possibilities we can offer them for executing new ideas. A broad spectrum of processing technologies for medical-grade plastics coupled with know-how in the design of pharmaceutical automation lines opens up definite prospects for you, too.
Market-oriented product development
To ensure your products are ready for market quickly, we closely examine your requirements starting in the predevelopment phase. In this step, we check to see that the conditions for series production are in place. Where necessary, we’ll make design optimizations and, if desired, implement them in an initial prototype.
We ensure the necessary process safety throughout the product development process. During production, we comply with the international primary packaging standard (DIN EN ISO 15378) and the principles of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP); this is corroborated by audits from many major pharmaceutical companies.
The RAUMEDIC portfolio for drug delivery
Learn more about our portfolio for drug delivery solutions with these examples. Get to know some of the special aspects of product manufacturing and development and see the unique features of each solution for yourself.
Today’s drug pumps control the supply of vital insulin for the treatment of diabetes. And the number of drugs approved for self-medication continues to rise. This has led to more and more application systems coming to market that allow patients to administer pharmaceuticals themselves over a longer period of time.
Requirements for the devices are growing accordingly: They need to be smaller and smaller, have sufficiently large drug reservoirs, be easy to use and work reliably in the home setting. We know what’s essential when it comes to the production and assembly of elementary subassemblies for patch and infusion pumps.
- Drug channels with siliconized hypodermic needles for reduced pain
- Drug reservoirs with syringe and sealing plugs made of medical-grade silicone (LSR) for optimum gliding force and leak tightness
- Pump housing with vial adapter for drug absorption
- Superior leak tightness thanks to a wide range of material combinations using 2-component injection molding
- Extensive leakage tightness and flow tests for maximum product safety
- Functionality check by means of 100% inline function tests
- High degree of automation for constant, reproducible results
- Packaging and sterilization
As component of drug pumps, the drug channel – also known as the fluidic outlet – serves an important interface function: It transports the liquid pharmaceutical from the reservoir into the human body.
- Drug-compatible, coextruded micro-tubing with inert inner layer
- Reduced pain for the patient thanks to siliconized hypodermic needle
- Designed for low dead volumes
- Thermoplastic and silicone injection-molded components adapted to the drive technology and plunge system
- Extensive leak tightness and flow tests
- Individual packaging concept and sterilization
High transparency syringes
Cyclic olefin copolymers (COC) boast a number of excellent properties that can reduce the use of glass in syringe systems. This makes the material well suited for the production of highly transparent syringe bodies.
- Biocompatible plastic for fast, hygienic single use
- High level of purity due to low extractable profile
- Highly transparent, unbreakable and lightweight syringe body
- Greater design freedom compared with glass thanks to flexible design for geometries and wall thicknesses
- High chemical resistance
- For prefilled and non-prefilled syringe systems
Needle safety systems
Worldwide, an estimated 3.5 million needlestick injuries occur each year in doctors’ practices, hospitals and the home-care sector and always present a risk of infection with dangerous viral diseases such as HBV, HCV or HIV. According to EU Directive 2010/32/EU for the prevention of needlestick injuries, employers in medical fields are required to equip medical devices with an integrated safety mechanism. We developed RAUSAFE to offer the medical community a needle safety system that’s easy to operate.
Liquid dosing device
- Specifically for oral drug application in children and elderly patients
- Latching element prevents under- and overdosing
- For precise dosing of liquid drugs (1 milliliter/5 milliliter/10 milliliter)
- Dosing accuracy adjustable in 0.1 milliliter increments
- Each dosing increment is audible thanks to the click feature
X-Straw: The drinking straw with that certain extra
Who hasn’t experienced it? You have a sick child who doesn’t want to take the medicine. Understandable, since the syrup is bitter or the tablet is too big to swallow. And it’s not only children who are reluctant to take their medicine: geriatric adults can experience this as a problem, too.
- Precisely dosed drinking straw for easy and safe administration of medicine
- For powdered drugs
- An integrated controller displays the emptying status
- Hygienically sealed single pack
In recent years, the pharmaceutical industry has developed increasingly sensitive drugs for the market. To protect their active ingredients, requirements for pharmaceutical packaging have also increased. Drawing on our broad expertise in materials and processes, we have developed individual packaging solutions tailored to your drug.
Packaging solutions with counterfeit protection
To make product piracy more difficult, we have developed counterfeit protection concepts for pharmaceutical primary packaging that use some of the following technologies:
- UV labeling
- Laser marking
- RFID technology
- Implementation of customer-specific innovations
The experts at RAUMEDIC are happy to advise you and assist you with the development of your idea. Please contact us and obtain information directly.
Product Manager Marketing & Sales