Indwelling venous cannulas (IVCs) are used for administering drugs or fluids, for example nutrition solutions, to patients parenterally by means of infusion. They are also used for total intravenous anesthesia and for taking blood samples. RAUMEDIC produces all the major components for IV cannulas, from catheters with tailored tip geometries to valve tubing and protection tubes.
We manufacture our IV catheters in different sizes and shore hardnesses – always tailored to the requirements of our customers. Thanks to co-extrusion technology, we can combine different plastics with one another to give the IV catheter very specific qualities.
For example, if you want good kink resistance, then we will co-extrude a harder polymer outer layer with a softer inner layer. This type of multi-layer extrusion also allows us to selectively influence the sliding properties of the catheter during later use.
- Standard version with up to 4 X-ray contrast stripes
- More X-ray contrast stripes on request
- In full contrast
- Fluoropolymers such as thermoplastic PTFE, FEP or PFA
- For vein protection during indwelling times and straightforward injections
Our material experts are familiar with the full range of medical-grade plastics. The benefit to you: you define the parameters of your specific IV catheter and we implement it to your requirements:
Bending stiffness & kink resistance
Irrespective of the version you decide upon – our expertise in tip forming allows us to implement the catheter tip just the way you want it.
- Processing of different tube sizes and wall thicknesses
- Different tip geometries (e.g. open, closed)
- Very easy to insert for painless cannulation
- Length and radius of the tip form are individually definable
Almos all IV cannulas are fitted with an add port via which an additional drug can be administered to the patient intravenously. In order to seal this opening reliably and thereby prevent leakages and contamination, a silicone valve tubing is inserted inside the cannula. The sealing tubes can be purchased from us on spools or as bundles.
- Outer diameter from 3.5 mm to 4.3 mm (0.138″ to 0.169″)
- Outer diameter within very tight production tolerances of well under 0.10 mm (0.004″) in total for reliable assembly and functionality
- Wall thicknesses from 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm (0.02″ to 0.031″)
- Silicone formulations developed in-house with maximum adhesiveness for secure sealing of the injection port
- Shore hardnesses between 40A and 60A
- Color to suit customer’s requirements
Do you also need the right needle protection for your IV cannula? RAUMEDIC has your requirements covered. Just get in touch!