Co-extrusion and Multilayer Extrusion – No Other Topic is so Multilayered
Efficient Solutions for Specific Requirements in Medical Applications
Thanks to our core capabilities in extrusion technology we are able to manufacture customized multilayer or co-extruded tubing. Similar to micro extrusion, up to four different materials can be combined in this process.
Examples for the layer structure include:
- PVC / EVA / PE for RAUINERT infusion tubing that prevents the loss of active ingredients in critical medications
- TPE / Soft-PP, TPE / EVA and EVA / PUR filling tubing for PVC-free infusion containers
- RAUSORB tubing consisting of PVC / PVC or PE / PE for the protection of light-sensitive medicines during infusions
The layer distribution can be modified according to your requirements. For a smooth further processing it is highly important that multilayer tubing products, too, comply with extremely narrow tolerances and highest quality standards.
Possibilities of Co-extrusion or Multilayer Extrusion
- Possibility to embed several color or X-ray contrast stripes
- Multilayer extrusion of up to four materials in different combinations
- Variable layer distribution based on economic and application-related aspects
- Integration of light protective properties
- Special consideration regarding compatibility within the body and the flow-through medium
- Use of specific adhesive enhancers when using incompatible polymers
Tubing With X-ray Contrasting Agents Either With Full Contrasting or With X-ray Contrasting Lines
Tubing products with X-ray contrasting characteristics (BaSO4) are produced for various catheter applications. You can choose between the extrusion of tubing with X-ray contrast in the form of a full contrast or with one or several X-ray contrast lines.
The X-ray contrast agent is either added to the polymeric material (full contrast) or integrated in the form of filled polymers as a line into the wall of the tubing (liner).
This way, an optimal X-ray contrasting ability as well as transparency of the tubing material is achieved. The maximum fill material content of the X-ray contrast agent is 60%.